The symptoms of depression among seniors are different than regular adults. Most seniors don’t seek medical assistance and relate depression to something associated with their medical conditions and treatment. Depression increases the risk of cardiac arrest and worsens illness and diseases. Studies show that the presence of depression increases the likelihood of death.
Possible causes of depression in our seniors
Certain medical conditions, death of a loved one, fear of death, loss of identity, financial problems, and loneliness.
Symptoms of depression in seniors
- Loss of appetite
- Sleep deprivation/ disturbances
- Lack of interest in socializing
- Lack of motivation
- Feeling stressed
- Feeling lonely and detached from surroundings
- Unexplainable aches or pains
- Lack of hope
- Feeling helpless
- No personal care or hygiene
- Losing willingness to live or getting suicidal thoughts
- Memory problems
- Increased consumption of alcohol or drugs
Depression vs Dementia
Symptoms of depression and dementia are similar, but there are a few differences which helps to identify the exact cause behind your symptoms. However, both depression and dementia require medical attention and treatment.
Ways to Overcome Depression in Seniors
- Reach out – Talk to people about how you feel and convey your symptoms. Call friends, family members. Zoom or face time with family.
- Get medical assistance – Don’t hesitate to seek medical assistance and treatment. It will help you overcome the state of mental illness soon and also improve your physical wellness as well.
- Spend time outside – Walks outside
- Develop healthy habits – Healthy diets and exercises
- Get quality sleep – Ensure you get enough rest and quality sleep.
How Absolute Senior Home Care Can Help:
Absolute Senior Home Care, has professional caregivers experienced in senior quality living. We ensure daily proper diets are followed, medications are taken timely, offer proper hygiene and personal care assistance, encourage daily activities and exercise, and give our clients the companionship needed to socialize during our visits. We specialize in personalized in-homecare based on our client’s needs and conditions. Our caregivers are fully background screened and are Registered Home Care Aides with the State of California Home Care Bureau. They are fully trained in COVID-19 Prevention Compliance methods.
We provide the most Absolute care to achieve the highest quality of life possible. We ensure family members the peace of mind that your loved one is under qualified and reliable care.
We provide free in-home assessments. Please call us at 619-410-2390 or visit http://absoluteseniorcare.com/